[LINK] The Open Government Partnership

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 22 10:39:13 AEDT 2014

At 10:28 AM 22/01/2014, Janet Hawtin wrote:

>There is a lot of trivial win/lose on television and very little
>negotiated win/win.
>Where is the space for learning a different modality.

Spot on, Janet. (sort of drifting off topic, but I'm sure there are
thematic links) And I think your examples of activities that get
teams working together instead of against each other in social
studies and science are terrific. The prize is to solve a problem
that helps society, not to beat the other guy.

Seems to me there are interactions here of the type of media
transitions that are going on, the implementation of elearning, the
sorts of school activities that emphasise various approaches, and
living in a culture of glorified competition rather than cooperation.
We're somewhat back to systems thinking and understanding human
behaviour and human development. (Don't even get me started with
government politicisation of the curriculum!) There are no absolutes,
despite what many rulers (and I use that term quite consciously) spout.

It's hard to know what the general rather than the anecdotal facts
are because there is so much going on in all those variables (one of
the reasons I walked away from educational research -- the complexity
was too great in reality to confidently reduce it to practical
application). 'Close' or 'best guess with least damage' is about as
good as we  can get, I guess.

Maybe I'm just getting old. ;-)

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer