[LINK] Apps for medicine not all goodness and light

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Jan 30 11:22:42 AEDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 09:55 +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> I like the one about 'automation bias' which is to believe what the
> computer tells you instead of the person sitting in front of you
> telling you different.

I still remember a Telstra employee with great fondness. Telstra cut off
my business ISDN link a month early. They had my request IN WRITING -
and still got the month wrong. Because I was not at home on the day they
decided to disconnect the link, they were unable to access the house to
restore the old analogue connections. But they did swap the exchange
back to analogue, and to their eternal shame, marked the job as
"complete".

To restore my ISDN service, all they needed to do was go to the exchange
and undo the swap.

I knew *exactly* what the problem was, and spent a WEEK describing the
problem, the cause and the solution to a conga-line of Telstra
suckholes, each of whom said variations of "but the job has been
completed". In vain did I tell them that it had not been completed, that
it needed to be reversed anyway, and that a technician should be sent to
check the exchange.

Then - Clarissa! She listened. She checked her computer. I braced
myself. Then she said "Yep. Could be. I'll send someone to check the
exchange."

Good on you, Clarissa. And yar boo sucks to the rest of the conga-line.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: EC67 61E2 C2F6 EB55 884B E129 072B 0AF0 72AA 9882
Old fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A