[LINK] More Facebook crazy - AI 'deep learning'

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Fri Jan 31 01:55:20 AEDT 2014

Jan Whitaker wrote:
>    Facebook's Plan For Artificial Intelligence: Transcribe Your Calls,
> Decipher Your Photos
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/29/facebooks-plan-for-artificial-intelligence_n_4690949.html
[SNIP]
> In a sense, you can
> imagine a deep learning-enhanced Facebook as a jealous ex who stalks
> and overanalyzes your every online move. Instead of merely knowing
> you'd shared a photo, Facebook might be able to figure out that the
> snapshot showed a beach, along with a picture of your ex-boyfriend
> and that you two were smiling. When, a few days later, you post a
> status update, Facebook could perhaps analyze your phrasing to guess
> that you're lonely and depressed. And before long, you might be
> seeing ads for dating sites, antidepressants and funny films.

Bianca presents a flawed analogy.

A jealous ex-boyfriend stalking you online would likely be overjoyed to see
you are lonely and depressed and capitalise on that fact. I doubt the AI "stalker"
would be recommending ads for dating sites, etc. Rather, the stalker would then
take advantage of ths situation and up the stalking level, possibly harrassing
you and manipulating your already disturbed and uneven psyche.

The level of critical thinking and analysis in this article is zero.  The dangers
inherent in the misapplication of "deep learning-enhanced AI" are all too
obvious and dystopic. And yet the reporter blithely reports this as being some
benign acceptable development.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

24. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.