[LINK] Thieves using a $17 power amplifier to break into cars with remote keyless systems

Jim Birch planetjim at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:04:36 AEST 2015

On 22 April 2015 at 14:55, David Lochrin <dlochrin at d2.net.au> wrote:

> A challenge-response scheme would require the owner to get out the key and
> do something ("what you know") which would defeat the whole purpose.

If the key signal can be recorded and played back this would be extremely
weak security.  I would have expected the car to require a response
calculated from a paired cryptographic key, ie, challenge the key, not the
driver.

After reading the Wikipedia page it seems that the keyless systems have
known strategies to counter a relay attack but maybe they don't work
properly or weren't incorporated in some systems.

Jim