[LINK] Question about bush reliability for accessing health records via the internet

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Apr 22 09:24:01 AEST 2016

On 20/04/16 13:47, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> ... bush GPs would have commercial grade internet access ...

Low speed broadband access should be sufficient for a GP.

> ... put your trust in having that as your only source of
> health information in emergencies when travelling?

I put my trust in my GP's training and doubt that they would be rendered
helpless without the Internet.

In 2008 I was rushed to Canberra Hospital in an ambulance and spent the
night in intensive care. I came to my senses a few hours after being
admitted and spent my time observing how the hospital ran, in particular
use of IT. What stuck me was that while the staff used all manner of
electronic devices, they also used their training to diagnose and treat
patients. If all the gadgets stopped working, the hospital would still
function:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2008/11/canberra-health-system-first-hand.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science, College of
Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890 http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464