[LINK] RFI: Census Site Implosion

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 11 09:08:12 AEST 2016

At 06:54 AM 11/08/2016, Frank O'Connor wrote:
>Bottom line: If there really was a series of DDOS attacks (which has been by no means proved, and will probably only be proved if third parties verify traffic stats .. and the ABS produces the logs) then the ABS are incompetent and should not be trusted to collect and store our data. If there wasn’t an attack, then the ABS are liars
¦ as well as being incompetent.

Well Mal is already blaming the ABS totally (this morning on radio) and saying the site will be back up today.

I look at Frank's choices as similar to mine re what I'm willing to do with this census:
they can have my name and no data other than gender, DOB, address -- which they/the govt have already -- OR they can have the demographic data for the purposes of all their forward planning. They do NOT need both to do the work required, and certainly don't need them connected.

This technical fiasco is actually a diversion from the real problem with this change. I'd be quite happy to do either of those things above online (if they were capable of running it), and even now vote remotely in the state of Arizona, banking, all those things (less so interacting w/ gov -- I don't have a Mygov account that I can recall). BUT the idea of handing over the sorts of things being asked in this census in an identifiable fashion with names linked via a code is a bridge too far. Not gonna do it.

Jan

I write books. http://janwhitaker.com/?page_id=8

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

Some psychopaths become serial killers, and other psychopaths become prosecutors. - Bob Ruff, Truth and Justice, June 2016

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer