[LINK] Census stuff(ed)

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Sat Aug 13 16:54:23 AEST 2016

On 13/08/2016 3:50 PM, David Lochrin wrote:
> I wonder whether the whole census concept should be re-architected?
>
> Much of the information could be supplied from existing government databases without going near the public Internet (ATO, Immigration, Health, state databases such as births, deaths, and marriages, etc.).  Some of it, such as personal income, would probably be more reliable.

You mean like they do in Belgium?
<quote>
2. A new name, a new way of working

The approach to the 2011 Census will be completely different from the
previous traditional censuses, which consisted of exhaustive surveys
each time. In the past we could only obtain considerable parts of the
necessary data by asking the person in question. Now a vast amount of
information can be recovered from administrative databases. It is
therefore more suitable to use these administrative data than to burden
the citizens with a survey.

</quote>
http://statbel.fgov.be/en/statistics/surveys-methodology/census/Census2011/

--