[LINK] Fuel Check website helps drivers find cheap petrol

Stephen Loosley stephenloosley at outlook.com
Fri Aug 26 20:07:23 AEST 2016

www.fuelcheck.nsw.gov.au

Fuel Check website helps drivers find cheap petrol

Today fuel was almost 20 cents cheaper in Tahmoor than it was Appin.

That sort of information was once hidden but is now brought to light through the NSW Government’s Fuel Check website, which allows motorists to check the petrol prices for service stations anywhere in the state, ranked from cheapest to most expensive.

State Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation Victor Dominello said the site was the first of its kind in the country and was likely to boost competition.

“We already have laws that dictate how service stations can display petrol prices on their roadside signboard,” Mr Dominello said.

“We are simply extending this obligation to say that when you change your prices on the forecourt, you also need to report them online.”

NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury expected the site will make a huge difference.

“We think this will change the way people buy petrol forever,” the NRMA’s Peter Khoury said.

“We think this is an outstanding outcome for motorists and  something the NRMA has been campaigning for now for a number of years.”

A key benefit for regions like Wollondilly is that the government has mandated that all service stations in the state had to register with Fuel Check – previously fuel pricing on this scale was only available in state capitals.

“In the past service stations didn’t have to compete because motorists would normally just fill up there and be none the wiser that, if you drive around the corner it could be 20 per cent cheaper,” Mr Khoury said.

“Now they can’t do that - they can’t hide.”

The variation in prices within even a single suburb is sure to surprise Wollondilly residents.

“It will finally shine a light into an industry that desperately needed it,” Mr Khoury said.

“I think the public will be surprised at just how big the gap is.

“This will allow you to find that diamond in the rough that was hidden from the rest of us because you had to go driving around trying to find cheaper petrol.

The Fuel Check site is at www.fuelcheck.nsw.gov.au

http://www.wollondillyadvertiser.com.au/story/4122465/find-cheap-petrol

Cheers,
Stephen