[LINK] FTTN notes

Andy Farkas andyf at andyit.com.au
Fri Mar 18 17:48:16 AEDT 2016

On 18/03/2016 16:20, David Lochrin wrote:
> I've extracted the main things to come out of the thread "NBN domestic installations" together with one or two other points in case anyone is interested.  Most of the technical information was contributed by Paul Brooks - thanks, Paul!
>
> Here's my summary...
>
> 1.  The FTTN copper connection at a user's premises provides a VDSL2 data service with no “POTS” voice service.  No network termination device is provided as it is with FTTP connections, and users must acquire a suitable NBN‑approved VDSL2 modem.
>
> 2.  NBN Co. will not provide lists of approved modems.  However an informal list is available at http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router
>
> 3.  The NBN interface requires G.INP and G.VECTOR functionality to be implemented in modems to ensure the speeds of parallel VDSL2 services on other pairs can be maintained.  So while non‑vectored VDSL2 can negotiate down to non‑vectored ADSL2+ it is usually not possible to use an existing ADSL2+ modem on an NBN VDSL2 connection (though it may work if it happens to support all other required NBN functionality - see 4).  However the reverse is fine - a VDSL2 modem can be used on an ADSL2+ connection.
>
> 4.  It's been reported that a port will be temporarily shut down if the connected modem does not have all required NBN VDSL2 functionality both supported and enabled.
>
> 5.  In a typical domestic situation the telephone wiring is daisy-chained from one outlet to the next and Telstra's responsibility extends to the first appearance of the line at an outlet.  In an FTTN installation, however, it will be necessary to isolate this house wiring from the VDSL2 connection.  If a user subscribes to a VoIP voice service, then the isolated house wiring must be connected to the FXS port of their modem.  Whether the NBN will do some or all of this work is apparently still being negotiated.
>
> 6.  NBN users will not pay any line rental directly, however it will be paid indirectly by service providers and passed on to users by them in one way or another.

7.  If you have 2 pairs of copper into your premises and wish to
minimise existing phone and internet disruption (which *will* happen if
you only have a single pair, possibly for several weeks) by utilising
the second pair for your (mandatory) VDSL connection, you have to pay
~$300 to have the second pair activated.

Also #5 - It's not "If a user subscribes to a VoIP voice service" but
rather "When a user is forced to subscribe to a VoIP voice service".

-andyf