[LINK] Where is the GOV.AU Alpha prototype?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sat Mar 26 10:29:34 AEDT 2016

The Digital Transformation Office released a "prototype" of GOV.AU:
http://dto.us10.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=18f172213d32ca205c7e524bd&id=33ca021784&e=094181f64a

But where is the GOV.AU Alpha prototype? I followed the link to
http://www.gov.au/alpha/ but that was just describing some aspects, not
a functional gov.au website.

The term "prototype" refers to a functional system. If instead DTO are
releasing a set of example screens showing typical use (such as "Matt
starts a business"), this is a "mockup" not a prototype.

What DTO seems to have mocked-up is only a tiny fraction of the gov.au
web site, which is like designing the the cup-holders for a car and
claiming it is a prototype of the whole vehicle.

At ANU I help mentor and assess student software projects and start-ups.
A team of three to five students undertake six to twelve month projects.
The GOV.AU Alpha prototype looks similar to what the students produce
after their first few weeks work. I had expected much more of DTO.
Perhaps the government could have students do the mock-ups:
https://cs.anu.edu.au/TechLauncher/industry.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science, College of
Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890 http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464