[LINK] Does NBN need a third satellite?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Mar 31 09:27:51 AEDT 2016

On 30/03/16 09:51, Karl Auer wrote:

> ... You might think his needs and wants are less relevant than yours ...

“my rank is the highest known ... I am a free citizen” (G.B. Shaw)

I vote and pay taxes, so have a say in how national resources are allocated.

 > you being an educator and all ...

I teach on-line, so I want network access available for eduction.

> IT IS NOT UP TO THE NETWORK OR THE GOVERNMENT TO DICTATE WHO CAN USE
> THE NETWORK OR WHAT THE NETWORK IS TO BE USED FOR.

The Australian government is funding the construction of the NBN and put
in place a policy that city customers subsidize remote users. So it is
up to the government to decide what the network can be used for.

> Also - define "education". ...

"Education is the process of facilitating learning, or the acquisition
of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits." From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education

I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to look up "health care".

> Education? I am educating myself all the time ...

Good for you. But if you want me to pay you to provide a service my life
depends on (such as make me a sandwich, repair the brakes in my car, or
drive a taxi), then self-education is not sufficient: you must have
formal qualifications.

> Perhaps you mean "official" health care and "official" education ...

Yes, I like to get my health care and education from people who have
been trained and tested through an accredited system.

> If the network is so crappy that such distinctions are needed, then the
> network is broken and the solution is to fix it ...

No, remote users get less broadband due to geography. I suggest
education and health services should have priority over movies on demand
for entertainment. If you think Netflick's movies should have the same
priority as children's education, then you are free to put that view to
your elected representatives.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science, College of
Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University
http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890 http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464