[LINK] ASX CHESS and Blockchain

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Dec 7 13:41:25 AEDT 2017

At 13:19 +1100 7/12/17, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>Nobody cares who had the $5 note in my wallet before me either, but that's what the Bitcoin blockchain tracks. Currently it's 144Gb according to https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size. Fascinating reading no doubt.

The $5 note is a single physical object that isn't replicable (at this stage, pending progress with 3D printing!).

Value-authentication of the $5 note is performed by inspecting it and comparing its appearance against people's expectations (a good forgery being worth as much as one printed by the official Mint).

A Bitcoin bit-string is born-digital, and readily replicable.

So some other form of value-authentication is needed.  The method used is to record all aspects of the string's provenance, and ensure that the provenance is replicated by 'enough' entities, with 'enough' incentive for 'enough' of those entities to check that the content is valid.

Re the 144GB, you do have to wonder about the scalability factor with blockchaining of frequently transacted digital objects.  (However, that's a separate issue from whether blockchain techniques have anything to offer to transactions involving commodities).

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.