[LINK] Link Digest, Vol 290, Issue 19

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Mon Jan 30 13:36:52 AEDT 2017

On 30/01/2017 12:03 PM, Simon Sharwood wrote:
> NBN takeup is slow. ...

> ... five years ago we were told that VoD would need FTTP at
> 100Mbps. And now Netflix et all are doing it at 3.5Mbps ...
3.5 Mb/s for standard definition perhaps, depending on codec and
quality, but what of:
- higher-quality SD?
- High Definition?
- 4k?
- 8k?
- 16k?
- HDR on top of higher definition?
- whatever comes after that?

Carefully cherry-picked figures notwithstanding, the exponential rise in
demand continues.
<http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/be4aa82cd8cf7f07ca2570d60018da27/c06931cd52bf07a6ca257d66001c4527/Body/0.1C08%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif>

The anticipated service life of optical fibre is a century or more.
Building for yesterday would be incompetent or treacherous. But then,
the government involved has proven both incompetent and treacherous.

--
David Boxall                    |  My figures are just as good
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  I make them up myself, and they