[LINK] The Next Ten Years

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Mar 17 08:39:13 AEDT 2017

Aug 9 08:55:06 EST 2007, I predicted:

> ... 48 volts to many office desks in Australia. ... eliminate mains
> power to office desks and use Power Over Ethernet instead for
> computers and task lighting. Using a low voltage does not itself save
> power (it is less efficient than mains power), but it would stop
> office workers using power hungry devices. ...

My prediction was wrong: Power Over Ethernet has not become
popular and while USB can now deliver up to 100 Watt, this is not widely
used for more than just recharging digital devices.

But I did read recently that 48 Volts is being used for low power
household supply in India. This is claimed to be cheaper, easier and
more efficient for a solar/battery system. It may be applicable to
Australia "off-grid" homes:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/renewables/innovative-direct-current-microgrids-to-solve-indias-power-woes

If you are wondering why 48 Volts: the higher the voltage the more
efficient electricity transmission, but above this you have to worry
about the risk of electrocution.

ps: Much else in the ten year prediction post was wrong, such as Prime
Minister Gillard meeting President Hillary Clinton to discuss climate
change. ;-)
See: http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2007-August/075343.html

--
Tom Worthington, MEd, FACS CP.  http://www.tomw.net.au t +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd.    PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Adjunct Lecturer, Computer Science  http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4799-8464
Australian National University   http://people.cecs.anu.edu.au/user/3890

New ebook: "Digital Teaching" http://www.tomw.net.au/digital_teaching/