[LINK] Jan's NBN experience

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 23 09:47:50 AEDT 2017

At 09:26 AM 23/03/2017, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>"Sorry, have to miss out today. My net connection is 'off'. Bloody NBN
>cutover not in yet."
>
>Commiserations, Jan.

NBN Update:

It took some prodding, but it appears to be working now. When I got up yesterday, everything was dead. Phones were dead. Internet was dead. ADSL didn't work and neither did the new NBN connection. All lights were on (the modems), but nobody home (at Internode).

1. Registered a support ticket at 9.30am. Have only received an acknowledgement it was received. No action.

2. Called Node on Mobile, waited 10 minutes to get the 'we'll call you back' message. Never came. Hanged up.

3. 4pm, wonder if the line is dead because of our big rainstorms (no phone, no ADSL - seems logical). Borrowed neighbours cordless, called Teltra. Their system tells me that they no longer are supplying this phone number. Tick them off the list. The number has been ported, which may mean why I also lost my ADSL line to Node? No idea. Called Internode again since this is obviously a problem on their end, this time got the 'we'll call you back' offer and took it, saying to call my mobile. This was around 4.30pm.

4. 9.30pm, I'm at a function, get call back from Internode (Five hours later instead of the Four hours later from similar experience Sunday, when the callback came after 10pm). Wait on hold for 10 minutes (sitting in my car) until the call is put through to an actual person, thank goodness it wasn't my minutes paying for it. After 20 minutes speaking with support person, he figures out that hey, my system is trying to contact their system, but it's not authenticating. Well, gee, who would have thought? So he says, let me call you back "after I get back from break"!!! That would have been after 11pm my time. I said no, that's not good enough. He says, oh, wait, I see what it might be. (Duh) It should be going in 90 minutes. We said our obligatory thank yous, call us back if it doesn't work, yadda yadda yadda.

5. Come home, turn the modem off and go to bed. Got up this morning, turned modem on, and lo and behold, all the lights come on. Hallelujah. But wait, gotta test it. All good on the various computers, except the phone is still giving me a busy signal. I was going through all the modem access stuff, decided to try the phone again before ringing and waiting once again for a 5 hour callback (probably would have been 6 this time, that was the time trend), and lo and behold, I have dial tone. I haven't tested it yet, and have been deciding who will be my 'virgin' phone call.

6. All my data monitors seem to be working ok. Interesting how it swapped over on my usual census day for my prior plan.

7. Now I just hope it continues to work. Haven't put it under any traffic load, like Netflix or other stuff. I never had too much trouble with data speed or quality before on my adsl line, so probably won't see much difference UNLESS there is data sharing contention in the afternoons/evenings. That will be a true test.

Thanks to all linkers who bore with me on this trip. I know at least one person reading here has been following because that person will be going through a similar experience at some stage. Maybe it will help some others too.

Cheers,
Jan

I write books. http://janwhitaker.com/?page_id=8

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

Some psychopaths become serial killers, and other psychopaths become prosecutors. - Bob Ruff, Truth and Justice, June 2016

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer