[LINK] NBN technologies [WAS] FTTN(ot working)

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Wed Mar 29 12:21:20 AEDT 2017

On 28/03/2017 7:48 PM, Nicholas English wrote:
> Gosh!! Won't all those in storm ravaged Queenslanders wish they had FTTN or even better a Sky Mustard connection. These are infinitely superior technologies suited to our climate.
>
> I don't really wish to politicise the weather, but the reality is I didn't. The sectarian politics that gifted our nation an infrastructure that fails at any measure did that.
I've seen a post from someone in the danger zone who'd managed to power
their Sky Muster S-NTD with a genset, but couldn't get signal. How much
of Sky Muster's failings are down to Ka band limitations and which to
cost-cutting on the ground is anybody's guess. Would better dishes,
LNBs, S-NTDs, ground stations and other infrastructure make a difference?

The other common NBN option in the regions is fixed wireless. They
started off with the 2.3 GHz band. That doesn't play well with
vegetation (or rain, apparently). I've seen images of devastation as
farmers try to clear a line to get signal. Now, they've moved on to 3.4
GHz, which works worse. Of course, our government is still selling off
700 MHz spectrum to the highest bidder. Never let vital infrastructure
get in the way of a quick dollar.

Meanwhile, in the town of Cessnock and surrounds, I notice workers
running out black cable. I presume that's copper.

And those blasted ads still come up far too often on TV. >:(

--
David Boxall                    |  Australia's problem isn't fake news,
                                 |  it's fake government.
http://david.boxall.id.au       |                        --Ross Gittins
                                     Sydney Morning Herald 27 March 2017