[LINK] Register all drones?

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri May 12 12:54:41 AEST 2017

Not *too* bad, I guess.

Here's what I proposed 18 months ago:
http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/Drones-PAR.html

Is this in the Senate Ctee list I wonder:
> ... a legal responsibility to provide customers with documentation, training and information (e.g. about the law, and about contact-points for regulatory, licensing and support organisations), prior to passing possession of the device to the customer.
>Particularly for the more dangerous categories of drones and drone applications, this might need to extend as far as a requirement to sight a customer's insurance and/or licence to operate that category of drone, before the organisation can pass possession of the device to the customer.
And this:
>Countries with a model aircraft association scheme that is subject to the purview of the aviation regulator can consider refining it to ensure that it applies to relevant drones and their operators, and hence draws them into an existing club context that provides education and a values-based framework. Countries without such a scheme should evaluate the scope for establishing one.
>[CASA] could have indtead imposed onerous conditions, thereby creating a strong incentive for drone operators to join a club and bring themselves within an environment that makes information available, and brings with it both a sense of responsibility and insurance coverage.

Let alone this:
>Virtually all countries have imposed compulsory licensing on drivers of motor vehicles and operators of mobile plant such as forklifts, including requirements that they first demonstrate knowledge of the relevant laws and/or proficiency in the operation of that category of vehicle. These are backed up by civil and criminal sanctions.
>Countries need to give serious consideration to extending the scope of their driver licensing schemes to encompass drones, or establishing similar schemes for drone operators, at least for categories of drones, drone uses or contexts of use that give rise to significant risks.

and this:
>Many countries have imposed compulsory third-party insurance on owners of motor vehicles.
>Countries need to give serious consideration to extending the scope of their compulsory third-party insurance schemes to encompass drone-owners, at least for categories of drones, drone uses or contexts of use that give rise to significant risks. This could be achieved, for example, by requiring drone operators to join a model aircraft club.

The idea that an Australian Parliament would actually enact privacy legislation of any consequence is of course laughable:
>Countries need to revise or extend the existing regulatory framework, or establish a coherent, comprehensive and balanced regulatory framework, at least relating to surveillance using drones, but preferably encompassing surveillance generally, including using drones.

Clarke R. (2016)  'Appropriate Regulatory Responses to the Drone Epidemic'
Computer Law & Security Review 32, 1 (Jan-Feb 2016)