[LINK] Some peace of mind about the NBN

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Nov 4 12:45:50 AEDT 2017

I have transact and I too got that email.  I assumed it was basically about the NBN cut over.  I found out some time ago that transact connections were not going to be cut off when then NBN was connected, because it was a worry to me.  It's not widely known and I'll bet a few people might think they have to use the NBN.  Just BTW, what the hell is NBNCo thinking, rolling out FTTN to almost all the Canberra suburbs with transact?  Who made that decision?  If they had rolled out FTTP or even FTTC I would have gone for it, but FTTN?  I wouldn't mind getting a quote for FTTP but you have to have an NBN connection as well as pay $600 to get a quote.  I wondered how much a simple only-phone connection would cost with the NBN, and found it was about $50/month.  As much as an internet connection.  What is that about?  So currently that idea is on hold.

I have transact iinet vdsl2 25/5.  When I first got it, a year ago or so I ran speedtest and got 90/30.  It's not like that now but it's not too bad. As for speed tests in general, I am pretty sure that whatever results you get from speedtest is going to be less than the speed of your connection.  Ultimately most people want to know: 1. what is the speed/contention between my house and the connection from my ISP to the internet, 2. What is the speed/contention between me and netflix, stan, the googles and facebook in whatever order you prefer.  It's not that hard.

I am sure that some people close to nodes get reasonable speeds on NBN FTTN but there seems to be a lot of complaints about speed and reliability. If I have reasonable connection now and I don't have to change, why would I change?