[LINK] Cars, again

David Boxall linkdb at boxall.name
Thu Nov 16 21:03:07 AEDT 2017

On 16/11/2017 5:00 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
>... somewhere, somehow, someone was stupid enough ...
I recently had to employ a licenced cabler to run some cat5. I've done
it hundreds of times, but now it's illegal. There are enough stupid
people in the world doing enough foolish things that our government
decided it had to regulate.

Reminds me of the US case where some idiot injured himself with a power
saw and successfully sued the manufacturer. Now every saw carries a
warning along the lines "if you run this tool across your hand while the
blade is spinning, your fingers might fall off".

I have a mower that carries similar warnings - twice. "If you put your
hand under the deck while the blades are running, you might lose some
fingers." Then it repeats the warning for feet and toes. I'm only
surprised that they didn't do the same for the head and genitalia!

<sigh> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

On 16/11/2017 5:59 PM, David wrote:
 > ... If you don't like my benchmark... would you like to propose one?
I'd say if the autonomous system performs marginally better than the
average driver, then that's a good start. Average includes those who are
drunk, drugged, tired, distracted or stupid.

--
David Boxall                    |  The world is run by
http://david.boxall.id.au       |          --Tony Windsor