[LINK] AI?

David Lochrin dlochrin at key.net.au
Mon Oct 16 11:24:41 AEDT 2017

On Sunday 15 October 2017 at 14:48 JanW wrote:

> Interesting that this caught Elon's attention while he was in Victoria, eh?

I thought the reference to OpenAI (openai.com) in the bottom-left of the image was also interesting.  "OpenAI is a non-profit AI research company, discovering and enacting the path to safe artificial general intelligence."

Elon Musk evidently thinks we do not currently have a systemic understanding of how to deliver "safe" AI, and the OpenAI initiative may be a way of trawling for ideas and talented researchers.  Its mission statement (aagggh...) says "We're a non-profit research company.  Our full-time staff of 60 researchers and engineers is dedicated to working towards our mission regardless of the opportunities for selfish gain which arise along the way."

One can forsee a situation where legislators are forced into considering how to regulate AI-based devices.  This is a horrifying prospect given the Government's demonstrated expertise in managing other STEM projects such as the NBN, energy management & greenhouse warming, and the Lidell fiasco.

David L.