[LINK] The government's coronavirus modelling

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Apr 7 22:25:20 AEST 2020

With a PhD and 50 years experience in computer modelling, I am in no way
critical of modelling.

What I am critical of is the spin this government is putting on their
modelling.

The modelling that has been done by many others, including researchers
in Australia, is far more comprehensive and up front in its findings
than our politicians have been.

They have all been consistent with the known biology of the virus and
its behaviour in the wild.

Of Roger's "guesses" I don't think any of them apply, even (3). My gut
feeling is that the modelling they have done is predominately economic,
not pandemic, something they are embarrassed to admit to.

Which makes it a political/ideological strategy they are following. They
have been forced to implement a strategy that goes against the beliefs
of many hard right politicians who are not in favour of big government.

Ironically, taken as a whole and apart from some real stuff-ups like the
Ruby Princess, our governments and medics have done a good job so far,
helped in part by our geography.

The UK, with 2.5 times our population have had over 100 times the case
load and yesterday alone had 10 times our total death count and their PM
is in a serious way.

What matters is what happens next and the modelling did not cover that
at all. What is the plan for easing up on "stay at home", taking the
screws off businesses and opening the boarders? Scotty claims that our
government is the only one thinking 6 months ahead. That may well be the
case, but where's the thinking/modelling behind it?

We need informed debate not content free mickey mouse modelling
presentations.

--

Regards
brd