[LINK] The government's coronavirus modelling

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Apr 12 10:59:13 AEST 2020

On 9/4/20 4:23 pm, David Lochrin wrote:

> What do you mean by a "gradual return to the classroom" and ...

Rather than having all students stop online learning at once and return
to campus on the same day, stagger it over months.

Only a few students would be on campus initially, for only a few classes.

> how would it reduce the risk of infection?

There would be fewer students on campus, allowing for easier social
distancing, and fewer people to spread infection.

With fewer classes on campus, closing again due to a further outbreak
becomes a much easier decision. Also it may only be necessary to stop
some classes, not close the whole campus.

International students could undertake initial classes online in their
own country, using the same course materials as used by on-campus
domestic students. This would delay the arrival of these students in
Australia, reducing the number of students on campus, and allowing more
time for infection control and prevention measures to be in place.

Professor Brian Schmidt, Vice-Chancellor of the Australian National
University has asked how universities will be transformed by the COVID19
emergency. As it happens, in 2014, I proposed international and
Australian students could learn to work together online. I am now
helping do that. Rather than treat this as a temporary measure, it could
be made routine.
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2020/04/transforming-australian-university.html

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP IP3P http://www.tomw.net.au
+61(0)419496150

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington