[LINK] How will the coronavirus app work?

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Apr 24 10:50:31 AEST 2020

On 24/4/20 5:47 am, Tom Worthington wrote:

> On 23/4/20 9:59 am, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>
>> How will the coronavirus app work? ...
>
> It won't work. With only 17% of Singapore residents using a similar app, I
> would expect the Australian take up to be less than 10%. This is far short
> of the 80% needed for the App to be effective.

Hi Tom

I thought the requirement was a 40% take-up of the app.

> I suggest modifying the App to not store the data outside the phone, and
> releasing the source code. Also someone who is competent in IT, and
> credible, should  be the public spokesperson for the project, not a
> government minister.

Yes. I tried to keep a previous post short but there is no reason the app can
not be fully accessible for scrutiny if it periodically polls a secure server
for new anonymous IDs. There is no secret squirrel stuff in the app itself.

The legislation only needs to define security requirements on the announcement
server and who has authority to release anonymous IDs to that server. Nothing
more.

With that transparency, I'd install the app and I'm sure others could be
encouraged to as well. If the app was installed on 90% of phones and
effectiveness (false positives or missed contacts in Bernard's post) was even
say 50% wouldn't that still achieve the 40% figure above?

My thought was that this moves the tracking app from surveillance architecture
to a human centered design.

All the best
Harry