[LINK] [EFA-Privacy] Smart meters back in the frame

Paul Brooks pbrooks at layer10.com.au
Mon Sep 7 23:06:30 AEST 2020

However, no smart meters transmit 15 second interval data. Pretty much all smartmeters I'm aware of in Australia and elsewhere have at minimum 30 minute intervals.

There are certainly things you can determine with 30- minute data,  such as when your electric hot water service kicks in and off,   or when you're cooking a meal on an electric shove,  but there's no way they can tell if you have one inefficient fridge or three energy-efficient fridges for example.

A few timers,  such as on a pool pump, creates natural variation.
30 minute intervals are long enough that an observer couldn't tell if you turned on a kettle or dishwasher in that interval.
It could reveal if the whole family was away and when they came back, if you had a multi - day baseline to compare to.

In any case,  this data is said to be anonimised and deidentified from the actual house - that is the aspect I'd like to see verified and done properly,   rather than focusing on the datalake itself.

There are positive outcomes. A great deal of homes have inoperative solar panels, having no benefit, the owner unaware. If the energy network could alert these people 'hey... we haven't seen any feed-in energy from your house for a while,  you might want to get your solar checked ' would be a big help.

(Fwiw, I get 5-minute interval data, but not from a smartmeter. That *can* tell when inhabitants are rising and eating (toaster and kettle in the morning), but it doesn't come from a smartmeter)

Paul.