[LINK] If Google pulls search....

jwhit at internode.on.net jwhit at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 26 10:17:00 AEDT 2021

I think Frank and Rob both make excellent points. Let Rupert find out
what NOT having all those shares by readers of his crappy reporters
feels like, those that drive readers to his online paywall blocked
articles. I don't know why people do it, but I assume they do - read
those "opinions" I mean. And if it isn't readers, it is the
Programs/Papers themselves! Twitter is FILLED with self-promotion from
the ugly Skynews and the birdcage bottom Australian. Maybe that says
something: readers, if there are any left, aren't doing so much
sharing after all.

And the issue of monopoly is true. If only that were the principle(d)
reason for this government/Murdoch move. But it's not. I use a privacy
protective search service, but sometimes the results aren't what I
need so I occasionally change to Google as an option. People take the
path of least resistance, though. They use what they are first exposed
to because that's what they believe (learn) to be the right way. The
sad (but brilliant on Google's part) equality that Google = Internet
is the underlying problem. To unpick this at this stage will really
upset the apple cart for many 'normal' online people. Hands up. How
many have friends who can't/don't understand you when you ask them to
open their browser? But if you say, open Google, they are right on it
If there were a model that made search NOT require ad promotion to
support it, that would be cool. Does it exist?
I agree, just robo-block all the Murdoch sources. Then there is no
copyright issue to deal with. No one would miss them.

This is one of those very complicated problems with too many
unintended consequences to list. The binary thinking of those making
these decisions is frightening. (vaccine? what vaccine? when? who? you
mean you can only supply 88,000? But but but!!!)
Jan