[LINK] Uncrewed submarines as ocean becomes ‘transparent’

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Apr 7 13:29:28 AEST 2023

On 5/4/23 17:35, Stephen Loosley wrote:

> Future undersea warfare will rely on uncrewed submarines as ocean becomes ‘transparent’, defence contractor says
> ... Daniel Hurst ... Wed 5 Apr 2023
> https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/apr/05/future-undersea-warfare-will-rely-on-uncrewed-submarines-as-ocean-becomes-transparent-defence-contractor-says
>
> Navies will not stop using large submarines but will increasingly rely on smaller uncrewed systems ...

Warfare may experience a sea change in a few decades, when the AUKUS
submarines are confronted by swarms of drones. This will be similar to
the sinking of HMS Prince of Wales near Singapore in WWII, by swarms of
Japanese aircraft.

However, a wily enemy may choose not to sink the AUKUS submarines, but
instead hold them, and their crews, hostage. The drones could cut off
means of escape for the submarines, forcing them to remain motionless at
depth. This could last for months, until their food runs out. The enemy
could use this time to run a social media campaign, which would appear
to come from desperate families of the crew, asking the Australian
government to agree to terms to "Bring our boys, and girls, home!".

Australian should be spending more on developing its own drones:
https://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2022/12/some-thoughts-on-australian-higher.html#drones

--
Tom Worthington, http://www.tomw.net.au