manki

John Burton buzzybell at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 01:07:00 EST 2001

Eric/Craig

I don't like "mangi" at all! I don't mind pronouncing
it like that, I just don't like that spelling. Eric:
you say you get the pronunciation "monkey" out of
"manki" - but I think you get the English "mangy" out
of "mangi", which is equally bad.

Anyway, the Manki people of Manki village, Bulolo,
spell their village like that, and I think they should
get the last say. The kiap is supposed to have come
along and said "who are you?" and someone said "em ol
manki tasol" or some such - and they are now Mankis
and proud of it!

Go out and locate a Manki and ask them!

John Burton