F word controversy in PNG

Jerry Jacka jacka at oregon.uoregon.edu
Fri Oct 12 10:14:03 EST 2001

Apparently, a recent AIDS campaign poster in PNG used the word "koap" which
generated a fair amount of controversy in The National. If I remember,
isn't this word spelled "goap" in the Tok Pisin Bible? Anyway, I put in a
letter to the editor regarding the word from The National Oct. 5. Jerry

Stick to 'koap'

I REALLY think that the issue is much fuss about nothing. The great "F"
word is vulgar in English because of its use as a derogatory and vulgar
word. F you, Get F, F off. It is vulgar.
But "koap" is not in the same category. It is not a derogatory word. We
never hear someone using it to swear. It is the Tok Pisin version of the
English "Go up" as in " Boy I would like to go up that woman". But it is now
used in a much broader and gentler sense in Tok Pisin.
The closest word to "koap" is "to have intercourse". Both are quite refined
English and Tok Pisin.
If 30 per cent said they did not like "koap", perhaps the same 30 per cent
might say that the AIDS campaign is vulgar because it deals with sex. There
is no accounting for the conservative element. They may even consider the
"condom" to be vulgar.
This is the first time that sex has been advertised on TV and radio in this
country. These are pioneering times. "Koap" may well be a pioneering word.
What is the alternative -- slip wantaim, mekim pasin nogut wantaim,
bagarapim? Some of these are old fashioned and full of value judgements.
Let's run with 'koap'.

Bruce,
Port Moresby