Misc comments

EvaLindström evali at ling.su.se
Wed Apr 3 08:59:58 EST 2002

>KAWAWAR spelling: this is very commonly pronunced as kawar.

(I perceived this as kawowar; middle vowel often reduced, in NIP 1997-2000)

>SAMSAM vs. SINGSING vs. DANIS:

Didn't notice samsam but there was hardly any traditional dancing.

Singsing of traditional ceremonial events with named types of songs/
dances seem to be dance+song in one. But there seem also to have been
songs, like ditties, for pastime purposes (with lyrics like 'let's go
to the village Ti lest we go stealing from peoples gardens', or later
let's go to town and get on an aeroplane', or one kid saying to the
other 'let's go for a swim' etc) -- these have no associated dances
and are called wanpela singsing nating and such. Singing one is singsing
too (verb).

Danis is in tok pisin hymns too (yumi danis wantaim, givim glori long god).
I didn't get the impression kalap(kalap) refers to organised movement
like a set dance (another verse is yumi kalap wantaim, where people would
jump) and I can't think what they called the little choreographies that
go with some hymns.

Eva