several words/comments

jenny xomerang jenny at xomerang.com
Sat Apr 6 20:15:21 EST 2002

Craig,

I always understood 'lang' to mean 'fly' (the insect, as in the pests from
the Poliamba oil palm plantations polluting villages in New Ireland), and
among New Ireland people I have never heard 'flai' used as a substitute, but
I have heard this usage from some Highlands friends.

I know that in Nalik (New Ireland) clover is called "klei gras" (clay grass)
because it's grass that grows on clay soil.

This plant 'filas': in my language 'Nalik' (New Ireland) we call it
'Aflaas'. In some  parts of Central and the Highlands when people get body
aches they slap their skin with its leaves. It would be good to find out the
scientific name for it.  What is it called in Tok Pisin?

"kumbak" as far as I know is a Kuanua word.  In simple terms it means to
sleep away from one's house. It often has a negative implication and is said
to sap the energy of other people in the village.

"doktapis"/"doktafis"

There are two different types of fish that people call "doktapis" in New
Ireland.  The first kind is small and lives in fresh water. And like you
said it is an introduced species, I believe, from somewhere in Africa, but I
may be wrong.  The second type (called "alanglaang" in Nalik) lives in the
ocean as well as fresh water and is a scavenger.  I believe they are called
"doktapis" in New Ireland because in past years medical orderlies went
around to the villages and informed people about the benefits of keeping
these waste-scavenging fish alive.

jenny