Reposting ...

BURTON John john.burton at tsra.gov.au
Mon Apr 8 12:32:56 EST 2002

Eva
Ditto, I'm reposting yours

More New Ireland observations

>1. flai / lang:
Lang was definitely the main word for fly

>2. Ai bilong haus
I agree with Craig here too, that the main use was 'door'; also the area
in front of the house. Didn't here it for 'gable' at all

>6. doktapis / doktafis
>A very small introduced species of fish that eats mosquito larvae and likes
>to nibble on people's sores when they stand still in the water. I don't
know
>the English or scientific name.

In Bimun (NI west coast central) dokta pis was used for a species of black-
and-white stripey fish, about 12cm long, which hang out on the reef near
where people throw food scraps; there is also some fresh water coming out
at this place but my impression was that they were after the food. In Allen&
Swainston's beautiful 1993 book Reef fishes of New Guinea, I think it is
identical to the crescent grunter (terpon jarbua) (picture nr 140). It does
not sound like the same fish as Craig's though!

Eva