Queries on 'wan nem'

BURTON John john.burton at tsra.gov.au
Tue Apr 9 09:25:03 EST 2002

Folks

I am trying to write an entry for _wan nem_ (note: as a single word it is
too easily cofused with _wanem_) and I am adding some cultural notes about
the practice of namesaking.

1. As in societies all over the world, people often name children after
older relatives. I have one example where this nominates, although does not
guarantee, the bearer to inherit the elder namesake's land (Biangai, Wau).
What other examples can be given where namesaking carries some important
duty of right?

2. As in societies all over the world, people often carry the names of place
with them when they move. And almost all the European names in countries
once colonised by European powers are namesakes: Mts Wilhem, Victoria,
Albert-Edward, Michael, Hagen in PNG, for example.

But in some places in PNG, the namesaking of places has extra special
cultural significance. Where village sites are frequently moved, the village
name can be moved along with the inhabitants - but I can't give good
examples of this. Can anyone help me?

John Burton