wan nem

Suzanne Grismeri ukarumpa at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 10 17:52:50 EST 2002

While living in the Highlands, although not in a village situation per se,
we established links with a local Tairora group.  The couple in particular
who we came to know were Pi'i and Taba'o - they already had had 11 children,
4 of which were living.  After we left in 1988, they had another girl which
they named after my mother, and I recall that my parents were concerned that
the village would be offended if we did not reciprocate the honour by
contributing to feeding and clothing her and possibly to her higher
education if she reached that level, even though we were no longer in the
country.

They subsequently named another daughter after my sister, and we have made a
point when going back for visits of bringing gifts both for the family as a
whole and individually for those two girls.

Suzanne Earley.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man
depends on the unreasonable man."
-- George Bernard Shaw

didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."
-- Mark Twain

and those who matter don't mind.
-- Dr. Seuss

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of
trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition
inspired, and success achieved.
-- Helen Keller