belo

BURTON John john.burton at tsra.gov.au
Fri Apr 12 16:39:47 EST 2002

Yes from "bell" is much more convincing. Mihalic had 'bellow' but we don't
have to believe in it.
On the subject of early pidgin, I am taking steps to flag entries that are
candidate Pacific Pidgin English (PPE) words dating to the 1840-1860 period.
There are plenty (exactly! - "planti"/"plenti") of easy ones but many more
that we will never know because of English's continued companionship of the
Pacific Pidgins ever since.

(Incidentally "early Melanesian Pidgin" would be a misnomer, would it not,
because most of its speakers were in fact from the central Pacific.)

John Burton