Wok

Mesulam Aisoli mva at lihir.com.pg
Fri Feb 15 12:50:24 EST 2002

"wokpainim", is the most recently used "tokpisin" by academics in PNG,
especially for research work. Never known in 1950 - mid 1960. It is a two
separate english words "work" and "find" so in Pidgin English becomes one
word "wokpainim". Never heard of "wokpain" before. In the general use of the
two words "wok" and "painim" by villagers, is common in many rural villages
in the New Guinea Islands. Say for instance, if some one lost his or her
knife and you come across him or her looking for it. In Tokpisin, you could
ask, "yu wokim wanem?" in reply she/he could say, "mi "wok" long "painim"
naip bilong mi, i lus aste".