Comments on Pacific Pidgin English (PPE) etymology

BURTON John john.burton at tsra.gov.au
Mon Jul 29 17:06:53 EST 2002

Thomas and all

Ah good, I was hoping someone would take this up. I agree with the criteria,
however I would like to qualify the first one.

It seems unfair to disqualify words which have paralelled the English
meaning, though they may well have entered PPE in 1850. I agree that the
main danger is that  there is an overlay effect when English comes into
contact with the word from time to time. An example may be 'bihain', which
should mean 'later in time' but you also hear contemporary speakers use for
'at the back of' (e.g. bihain long haus - doesn't sound right to me!).

I will find more examples to illustrate what I have in mind. Thomas' list is
a good start.

John Burton