Photographs & copyright

Thomas H. Slone THSlone at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 21:52:34 EST 2002

>Thomas
>
>Thanks.
>
>>Perhaps we should mail you directly any photos rather than burden the
>>list with excessive bandwidth?
>
>Only if I can keep up with handling them! Personally speaking, I'd like to
>find snaps of unusual things that exactly illustrate meanings.
>
>  >What are the implications of incorporating vs. not?
>
>We could (evenutally) hold a conference.

Sounds exciting!

>John

Here are some illustrations that I scanned from the following books:

D'Albertis, L. M. (1880). New Guinea: What I Did and What I Saw.
London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle & Rivington, 2 vols.

Hagen, B. (1899). Under den Papua's: Beobachtungen und Studien über
Land und Leute, Thier- und Pflanzenwelt in Kaiser-Wilhelmsland.
Wiesbaden: C. W. Kreidel.

Krieger, Maximilian (1899). Neu-Guinea. Berlin: Alfred Schall.

Stone, Octavius C. (1880). A Few Months in New Guinea. London:
Sampson Low, Marston, Searle & Rivington.

Thomson, J. P. (1892). British New Guinea. London: George Philip & Son.

von Hesse-Wartegg, Ernst (1902). Samoa, Bismarckarchipel und
Neuguinea: Drei deutsche Kolonien in der Südsee. Leipzig: J. J. Weber.

color paintings:
4 different species of birds of paradise (from D'Albertis)

Black and white photos and engravings:
breadfruit: leaves and fruit
2 beetles: possibly for "dungki" entry
forest photo: for bikbus
kangaroo
kundu drum (2 different engravings)
signal drum
python
man spearing fish at the seashore
Victoria pidgin
harpy eagle with dead kangaroo
ironwood seed, leaf and flower
cuscus
pandanus tree
traditional axe
tambaran house
woman carrying baby in bilum
bandicoot

Let me know which ones you want and what file format and file size you prefer.
--Tom Slone