A few items from Piet

BURTON John john.burton at tsra.gov.au
Fri Nov 15 14:20:46 EST 2002

Piet Lincoln has just sent me a few items, qualifying this by saying not to
bung the whole lot on the list.

However, let's start with ...

1. ami xxx, i.e. 'army/military/war-'

ami muvi, a war film

Piet thinks the work order is suspect (this is the English way round): I
think it's okay, but others ... ?
(See entry on the web site
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/SpecialProj/PNG/MIHALIC/Index.htm )

2. andaram
English: 'under arms'. On the web site I added "there is some confusion over
the exact commands used in former times to drill police, soldiers etc.
Anyone have further information?"

Note that I link this to "sanda am! shoulder arms! (army/police drill
command)"

Piet asks:
Could it be  "order arms"  a command in military drill from OED: "b. Mil. to
order arms (a gun), to bring a firearm into a position in which it is held
vertically against the right side, the butt on the ground. "    usually,
we're actually talking about a rifle.

Any more drill commands etc??
John Burton