[Mihalic] MAF scanning project

BURTON John John.BURTON at tsra.gov.au
Wed Apr 30 12:00:34 EST 2003

Hello Maurie (list members FYI)

No, I haven't forgotten. You contacted me at about the time that I was negotiating the hosting of a wider project to revise Mihalic's dictionary. This got off the ground in 2000, when we formed an email list and called it the 'Revising the Mihalic project'. I have subscribed you. Further information at:

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/SpecialProj/PNG/MIHALIC/Index.htm

As you will see from the site, the list members and I are going through Mihalic's entries and revising them. As you know, Frank Mihalic died in 2001 and we have also lost Prof Otto Nekitel from Linguistics UPNG, who indicated he would have liked to be a stakeholder. The formal host of the project is Divine Word University, though the web site is physically at ANU. I am in Torres Stait.

It is not 100% essential for us to have an electronic version of Mihalic's text, but if you do have increasingly complete amounts of it, we would be glad to receive a copy and we could put it on the site if you like. My intention is to have a first round of revision complete by the end of 2003 (probably unlikely) and then for us to switch our energies to having a series of workshops of a period of time. I haven't contacted Divine Word recently, but it would be logical to start with one there. Divine Word also has a fair amount of unpublished Mihalic material I believe.

To be clear, copyright in the dictionary was given ostensibly to me by Mihalic, but I wrote back to him and said it will belong to the project, and in that way to the list members, of which you are now the 60th. In other words, use the text how you like from private purposes, but post to the list by emailing mihalic at anu.edu.au in order to consult the other members on any matters to do with wider dissemination.

Regards

John Burton
Revising the Mihalic project