[Mihalic] Maski etymology!

Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) r.clark at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 4 12:03:41 EST 2003

This is indeed an interesting item. As far as I know it is not in any
Pacific languages apart from TP and CPE. I think the source must ultimately
be Portuguese.

My (standard) Portuguese-English dictionary has

	mas 'but, yet, still, however, nevertheless'

The item we are interested in is usually said to come from a Port. phrase
"mas que", but I have no information on the specific meaning or usage of
that.

Portuguese being the first European language widely used in South and East
Asia, there are traces of it widely diffused even in places where direct
Portuguese influence ceased long ago. Both Malay and Bengali are well within
that area of influence. There are, of course, still enclaves of creole
Portuguese here and there. Alan Baxter's grammar of Papia Kristang (Malacca
Creole Portuguese) (Pacific Linguistics,1988) has maski "although". Example:

	Maski eli kaninu, eli forsa.	Although he is small, he is strong.

The Malay form is meski(pun) 'although; in spite of (the fact that)'.
Example:

	Meskipun hujan lebat, si Amat pergi juga.  Although it was raining
heavily, Amat went anyway.

Examples like the last get us close to the "never mind" or "doesn't matter"
sense that we find in TP and CPE. So I would say the Portuguese and Malay
theories are both correct -- the word is ultimately Portuguese, but reaches
TP via some form of Malay.

Ross Clark