[Mihalic] More etymology

Robin Hide rhide at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed Aug 6 07:47:29 EST 2003

At 05:32 AM 6/08/03 +0900, you wrote:
>Robin,
>I'd like to try to find this Peekel Henty book you refer to. Can you send
>or post further details?
>
>Thanks,
>Craig Volker

Craig-
the details are:

Peekel, P. G. (1984). Flora of the Bismarck archipelago for naturalists.
Lae, Office of Forests. (Translated (and nomenclature revised by
E.E.Henty.)  638 p.
ISBN: 9980-66-000-7

Available from FRI, Lae
Papua New Guinea Forest Research Institute
P.O. Box 314, Lae, Morobe Province
PAPUA NEW GUINEA
Ph: (675) 472 4188 Fax: (675) 472 4357

I dont know what the costing is now.

Its an extraordinary work: most plants have local glosses in Kuanua, Pala
(Patpatar), and Lamekot (East Kara)  plus some other languages.

from the intro notes: by Sleumer
Peekel was in NI and NB from 1904-1928, in Germany on study leave in 1929,
back in NI from 1930? until the War.  Peekel survived the Japanese
occupation, and he died in 1949 in Rabaul.

He also wrote a "Comparative Dictionary of 40 Pacific Languages", and
"Investigations on the development and significance of Pacific
vocabularies" - 6 volumes in manuscript were, as they say, "unfortunately
lost in the war"

[NB In some libraries the original material is held: eg:
AUTHOR  Peekel, P. Gerhard.
TITLE  Illustrierte flora des Bismark-Archipels four naturfreunde und
ethnologen [Illustrated flora of the Bismark archipelago for
naturalists and ethnologists] / [microform] = P. Gerhard Peekel.
8 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
Microfilm copy of the original documents held by Royal Botanical Gardens
and Natural Herbarium, Sydney.}]