[Mihalic] RE: Introducing....

Thomas H. Slone THSlone at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 15:58:21 EST 2003

>  >Be that as it may, I have long felt that the model
>  >would be excellent for a Tok Pisin Study Dictionary:
>>the first half Tok P to English, the second half Engl to
>>Tol P, and in the centre (as in the other ditionaries)
>>a secton on grammar and usage. I think there is a
>>real need for such a dictionary in PNG, especially now
>>with the Education Reform whereby students are taught
>>to be literate first in their own tok ples before then
>>'bridging to English'. Such a Study Dictionary would
>>be small, compact, and relatively inexpensive.

That raises an issue for our project.  The English to Tok Pisin
section has not yet begun.  Do you have a plan for starting this,
John?

>  >Forgive me if I'm telling what you already know,
>>but it's important I spell out the differences
>>between the Press and other publishing companies:
>>Oxford University Press is a wholly owned department
>>of the University of Oxford. It does not have private
>>sharehoders. Profits generated by the Press are channelled
>>in three ways: first, a dividend is paid to the University;
>>second, profit is reinvested in the business (to lessen
>>dependency on banks); and a third share goes to the
>>publication of scholarly works that are unlikely to
>  >be taken up by purely commercial houses.

I think it's great that Oxford is still publishing scholarly books
without regard to potential profit.  This is something that few
university presses will do anymore.  Oxford looks like it may be an
excellent match for our project, especially given that they have a
presence in PNG.
--Tom Slone