[Mihalic] Re: Mihalic Digest, Vol 5, Issue 5

Terry H. Gilsenan thg at weblistix.com
Thu Jul 17 10:07:37 EST 2003

Hi,

This is literally: "Samapim Morita"

Where "Morita" is a localised name for the type of Pandanus Thatching used
in this picture. The localisation is West Sepik.

I dont know if this word is used anywhere else, as this type of thatching is
a Coastal thing, in the Highlands, the equivalent would be
"Taitim Kunai" as the Grass used in the Highlands houses is the Kunai grass
rather than the Pandanus.

Regards,