[Mihalic] Correction "tambu"

Terry H. Gilsenan thg at weblistix.com
Thu Jul 17 10:45:40 EST 2003

Hello,

The list shows "tambu" as:
  1.. Culture: sacred, marked by avoidance
  dispela ples i tambu this place is sacred (and you cannot go inside)
  meri i tambu long lukim tambaran women are forbidden to see the sacred
objects

  2.. Human behaviour: forbidden, not allowed, marked by abstinence
  ol tok nogut i tambu hia bad language is forbidden here
  dokta i tok, mi tambu long smok the doctor said I am not allowed to smoke
  ol Sister i stap tambu Sisters live as virgins

These are not really correct.

The above items are correct for "itambu", which is actually differnet from
"tambu" the diference is slight, but in tokpisin conversation it does make a
difference.

ie: "Dispela man em i tambu bilong me" == "This man is my in-law"

and

"Dispela man em itambu tru" == "it is (wrong|unlawful|against custom) to
have anything to do with this man"

The correct transation for "tambu" is "in-law"

I am not a Linguist, but I grew up in the highland of PNG and tokpisin is my
first language.

Regards,