[Mihalic] Wantok niuspepa

Vince vinosvd at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 18:15:36 EST 2003

Tom Slone wrote:

> The examples that I have given were from Wantok newspaper readers who
> sent their folktales to Wantok to be published under the column "Stori
> Tumbuna", so they are not reporters.  When I gave an example from as
> being from a particular location, I was careful to do so only when it
> was clear that the story itself was from there and not just being
> written from there by a migrant.
>
> I would suspect that these stories received fairly minimal editing (e.g.
> spelling consistency with Wantok style), but if you remember anything
> about this, please let us know.

That is not how things worked in my day. Some one sends in a stori or
even one of the staff wrote a stori. Not very old because they were made
up on the spot. They are tumbuna because they represent myths or legends
  from PNG but they might never have been told before.

The stori arrives at Word publishing, handwriten. Some one has to type
it. Edita picks out a stori gives it to a typist.

An example:
Stori from SHP. Typist from Kerema. Edita from Morobe.

Consistency with Wantok Style sheet? No proof reader in my day and most
staff did not know of the style sheet and word list put together when
Mihalic was there.

In other words, quoting Wantok in recent years as an authority doesn't
make too much sense.

Vince