[Mihalic] aniani

linus digim'Rina digimrls at upng.ac.pg
Wed Apr 7 14:05:22 EST 2004

This slipped my mind, and thanks to Robin's doirection towards Nicole's
publication, though still in support of what Martha has added on. In the
Kiriwina language (Trobriands), we certainly pronounce the round onion as
'aniani' however, do make a clear distinction between 'aniani' as a vegetable
(imported anyway), and 'aniani' as the Motuan word for the act of eating.  The
latter is generally understood as been around much earlier than the former - a
recent phonemic adaptation?

linus