[Mihalic] apo

Thomas Strong tpstrong at Princeton.EDU
Fri Apr 16 11:21:55 EST 2004

Hi there.

"Apo" I believe is a form of "ambo," which in Gahuku (Goroka tok ples)
and Dano (upper Asaro tok ples) means both "namesake" and (in the past)
"co-initiate."  It is often used as a term of address, and generally
indicates a warm and egalitarian relationship, as Volker indicates.
Today people might well translate the term as "friend"/"pren".  When
used in the more restricted sense of "namesake" it may also be used as
a term of reference, so that Tom Kiripo (a clan brother of mine) I
might refer to as "ambo bilong mi" (my name is Tom!).

Craig Volker is also right that outside Goroka (viz. outside the Asaro
valley), people know that the term is a Gorokan (Asaro valley) trait,
and if they know you are Gorokan, they may well grease you with it.  It
was made quite famous relatively recently in Kenangi's hit song "Wari
Ambo," which ruled the airwaves (both CHM Supersound and Yumi FM) in
2000:  the song is in Gahuku (its video is a hilarious send up of karim
lek and tainim het).

Hope that helps!

Tom Strong