[Mihalic] Hunting the snark

John Burton johnellissenburton at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:55:35 EST 2004

Fair enough. Perhaps I have fitted 'obsolescent' (='growing old') into one
category with 'obsolete' (='worn out, discarded'). I look at changing this.

In 1980 I used 'wilwil' (having just studied Mihalic) when sitting in my
bush house in South Wahgi with 2 or 3 highlands youths and explaining that
as I didn't have a car in Canberra I got around by bicycle. They said
'wilwil mipela i no klia tumas, yu min yu raun long baisikel?'.

I have not heard 'wilwil'=bicycle uttered in a sentence, i.e. caught one in
the wild, in NIP, WNB, Madang, Wau, Finsch, POM, Lae or anywhere else I may
have been since 1980. I have heard the other meanings, wilwilim etc, plenty
of times.

I stick by 'obsolescent' - 'wilwil I laik lapun nau'. Even if obsolescent, I
have never said it was not a perfectly good word for bicycle and I am
delighted to know that there are plenty of wilwil strongholds.

John Burton