[Mihalic] Additional Christian vocabulary

Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies ipngs at global.net.pg
Tue Feb 3 10:00:59 EST 2004

As Tom has brought to our attention, there certainly is an important
vocabulary of TP associated with churches. I've also noted the following.

sing -- 'song, singing'; used in SDA hymnal "Ol Sing bilong Lotu" (1989);
used instead of more common "singsing" because of the latter's association
with tradtional music/dance, with which SDAs do not associate. For example,
"Long planti ples long Baibel yumi lukim tok long musik na sing" = 'In many
places in the Bible we see descriptions of music and singing'. Also, "buk
sing" = 'hymnal, song book'. Note, however, that in the same preface from
which these examples are taken, they also use "song": "singim song", "buk
song", "sampela song"

haimapim -- 'to praise'; used by SDAs in hymnal "Sing wantaim Amamas"
([1975?]), and subsequent TP hymnal. For example, "Mi laik haimapim God" =
'I want to praise God'. Presumably influenced by words such as TP haisapim,
liptimpaim/litimapim, etc.

talatala --  'a Protestant  or Protestant minister' [only the former
meaning is in Mihalic]; wife of minister is marama

marama -- 'wife of Protestant minister (talatala)'; "Mipela i amamas long
lukim marama Ruth" = 'We're happy to see Ruth, the wife of the pastor'

takondo -- 'holy'. "Maria takondo" =  'Holy Mary'; "Spirit takondo" = 'Holy
Spirit' [Catholics only?]

Don

Don Niles
Head & Senior Ethnomusicologist