[Mihalic] tanget and other botanical terms

C A Volker volker at nalik.org
Thu Nov 18 17:39:11 EST 2004

I have a question about “tanget”, a word which hasn’t yet made its way onto the
Mihalic website.

I am currently working on a Nalik-English-Tok Pisin dictionary and have come to
the entry for the Nalik word for “tanget”. The Tok Pisin equivalent is easy,
but what is the internationally recognisable English word? In Hawai'i it's
called a ti plant, but in Australia? In PNG English it's “tanget”, of course,
spelt “tangket” in the Dellasta PNG Encyclopedia. But internationally? Ti?

That brings up the question as to the target English of PNG dictionaries like
the Nalik or Mihalic Tok Pisin ones. Should it be PNG English (tanget, laplap,
tradestore), Aussie English, or some generic international English?

Also, anyone know the correct botanical name for tanget? The original Mihalic
lists Taetsia fructicosa, but by googling ti plant, I found Cordyline
terminalis, and the pictures look like our PNG tanget. Can anyone less
botanically challenged than me help out?

Thanks,
Craig Volker